Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mom and Me Hikes

Last summer I headed up "Mom and Me" hikes for moms and small kids. It was a lot of fun, so we're doing it again this year. Yesterday was our first hike. We've got a good group that is interested in hiking this summer, so I think we'll have a good turnout most weeks. Unfortunately, most people emailed and said they couldn't make it this week, so I didn't know if anyone else would show up. I waited about 15 minutes and when no one else was there, I started hiking with Ellie on my own. I went for about 15 minutes and decided I wasn't too sure about being on a secluded, wooded trail in town by myself! Probably crazy, I know, but I decided to turn around and just hike Peet's Hill instead. When I got back to Peet's Hill there was a group of women with strollers and as I passed them I happened to catch someone's eye and recognized her! It was Molly Hannan, Leif's boss' wife. We said hi and she said they hike every Monday and yesterday it was Peet's Hill! So I hiked with them and it was a lot of fun! Lots of toddlers and Ellie got to get out of the stroller and hike most of the way! She did get tired and hungry after a while, so I put her back in the stroller and let her eat while I pushed her the rest of the way. All told we ended up walking about an hour and a half. Then I took Ellie over to Bogert Park to play for a bit while I ate some lunch and she got to play on the slides! It was a good way to start out the morning and start out the week! I'm looking forward to the rest of the hikes this summer. Hopefully we'll have people show up each week and the kids can get out and hike themselves some, too. It's good to get them out and active!

No comments: